BOTANY TOWN Centre ETFE Canopy, AUCKLAND
CREATE has been awarded the full design stage for the new feature roof over the retail arcade at Botany Town Shopping Centre, Auckland. CREATE are working with Vector Foiltec to provide a combined design and build package for the ETFE & Timber Canopy. The new development is part of AMP Capital group retail development. Ignite Architects are responsible for the design of the surrounding retail spaces.
The feature canopy covers an area of approximately 750m2 and forms the entrance way to the new Botany Town Centre Development along Garden Lane. The structure provides a landmark statement and visitor experience, to establish new retail centre as a destination. The Design employs specialist form-finding techniques to create the optimised undulating form, that is both elegant and efficient to build.
Key ELEMENTS OF THE PROPOSAL:
- Lightweight diagrid roof is formed using steel and ETFE cladding.
- Striking parabolic arches provide a strong rhythmic statement to the colonnade.
- Design optimised to meet construction and budget restraints.
- Provide weather protection and a degree of climate control through passive heating and cooling.
- Selected option employs solar shading to protect shop fronts.
Client: AMP Group Australia
Location: Botany, Auckland
Role: Specialist Designer for Main Roof
Completed: Detailed Design Stage
Value: $1.5m (canopy only)
Toby Mason (Director), Lead Designer & Specialist Facade
Martin Vlnas (Senior Assistant Architect), Architectural Support
Senior Project Manager
on behalf of the AMP Group
CONTACT US to discuss your project ideas.